LANEWAY LIGHTING OPTIONS FOR UNLEY COUNCIL
Hyper-efficient was engaged by the City of Unley to investigate and make recommendations for lighting to a sample of laneways within the Council’s jurisdiction. These lanes typically form the rear are for access to the rear of the property, though are also serve as primary access in the to the front of properties.
• Glare and nuisance avoidance.
• General ambience and amenity.
• Easy to install.
• Does not cause traffic hazard.
• Generic one type of solution (if possible).
• Not required to illuminate all the way through the night.
• Easy to maintain and replace.
• Capital cost comparison between utility powered and solar solution.
Solar lighting is an economical way to provide lighting to improve amenity for paths over providing power from utility via inground cabling. As the solar technology does require maintenance for cleaning panels, optics and maintenance of batteries, the Council should ensure that these maintenance resources are available to service unit faults, end-of-life battery changes and incorporate the manufacturer’s maintenance regime.